In loving memory of

Wendy Maureen Parker

Wendy Maureen Parker Profile Picture

13 February 1946    to   26 February 2021

Wendy first lived with her family in a prefab at Western Mill.

Then the family moved to Rendle Street.

As a young girl she had polio and spent some time in a wheelchair.

She left Rendle Street as a married woman.

She met Ken late 63 early 64 at the NAAFI which was the building next to the anchor up on the Hoe, now a supermarket. To what antics she got up to prior to this, you will have to ask Bernadette.

Then she was a typical Plymothian…she thought the world ended at Marsh Mills roundabout!

When she got engaged to Ken they went up to the little village Corbridge near Newcastle to be introduced to the future in-laws……16 hours by train with a change at Sheffield. She loved both in-laws but had difficulty understanding the language up there.

The next time she went up was for Christmas they both went up together but Ken got called back to his ship, what he didn’t know was for that holiday Wendy had packed in her job at Tecalamet. She stayed up there for 6 weeks with Ken's parents and he remembers a letter he got just after the new year saying “your mam and dad and I went out new years eve and just walked into peoples houses and your dad put a piece of coal on their fire and had a drink with them. Your dad was very tired when we got home!”

She married Ken August 3rd 1968

Honeymooned back at Corbridge. The first place she lived for a while was in Dunfermline, Ken was in a communications centre up there. Thee flat was so cold you could scrape the ice off the inside of the windows in the morning. Next move was to Helensburgh near the submarine base.

She was also a very strong brave lady, October 69 son Michael was due Ken got a draft to Mauritius (A large communications centre was there) Wendy could not travel with Ken because of the pregnancy so she had to go back go Corbridge. She followed 8 weeks later with Michael at 6 weeks old, her in-laws escorted her to London, put her on the bus at the terminal waved goodbye and she left for the airport. Here was a lady who had never been on an aeroplane - now on one by herself with a 6-week old baby. She caught the businessmen's flight to Orly airport in Paris then the VC10 to Mauritius stopping in Entebbi to refuel. All cabin crew spoke French, she had a real hard time getting the right milk for Michael, luckily a Naval nurse was on the flight and helped out. After a long flight she landed, got through customs which was just a shed. Ken was there to meet her and together they got on the naval bus to travel all across the island through the mud huts of the poorest part passed vast sugar plantations(Mauritius had not been exploited yet) to the bungalow which Ken had made ready. It was normal that 75% of wives just got the next plane back home not Wendy she adapted quickly and enjoyed the 2½ years out there. Wendy gave birth to daughter Kim whilst out there, Kim was christened in the camp chapel and baptized in the upturned bell from the original ship HMS Mauritius.

The family came back to UK ’71 from high summer to mid winter.

Wendy moved with Kens career sometimes moving house by herself while was at sea.

The family moved into a 9-roomed town house in Valletort road when Ken left the Navy and started with just one room to live in but in the 40 odd years living there spread throughout the house.

At first Wendy worked in care homes and spent happy years doing this but unfortunately this effected her health her back went and metal plates where put in and she suffered with rheumatism and osteoarthritis becoming eventually registered as disabled. Now her heart started to deteriorate.

One of the things she would talk about was the free fully inclusive holiday (which Ken did not believe), she won from one of the puzzle books, a week in Antigua. This was fully enjoyed as the American holiday season had not started then and the hotel was almost empty with a full staff on.

In the last few years the house began to be too much for both Wendy and Ken so moved to a ground floor apartment further up the road. She still missed the old house but the apartment made life easier

Wendy had a stroke on Jan 30 an spent time in hospital till 22 Feb at times it was touch and go. But she came out about 98% and she and Ken spent a week together at home.

On the 22 Feb Wendy was taken back to hospital having seizures and she was sedated and her eyes closed and remained closed. The doctors (who were wonderful all the time Wendy spent in hospital) they found there was no more they could do except keep her comfortable and pain free.

Wendy died at 10:33 on February 26th - her breathing quieted down, her eyes flickered open, and she passed to a better place.

She died with her family around her, holding her hands, and talking to her.